Write Now 1,000
To create an extensive digital library of e-books, written by and for children and published/available on the ‘Mybrary’ download portal.
To support publication of selected e-books to ‘commercial’ e-book distribution
To ignite a wave of excitement in empowering the writing, access and reading of e-books for children and young adults.
To establish models for
- Training students and teachers in the skills for writing e-books
- Publishing and distributing e-books
- Build communities of writers in target languages
- Establishing models for incorporating e-literacy in disadvantaged schools and communities
- Celebrating student writing, e.g. Writers’ Festivals
Phase 1 (SWA/JWA)
Sand Box – Write Now 100
- Target 100 Books – K-12 (by June 2012)
- 3 target languages
- iTunes U publishing
- iTunes publishing
Phase 2 (SWA/JWA)
Project ‘Power Up’ – Early Adopters (Nov-Jan)
- Target 200 books in 1 month
- 15 teachers + 5 students
- All school sections
- 3 languages
- Variety of subject teachers
Phase 3 (SWA/JWA)
Project Launch (February 1)
- Invitation to all students/staff/parents
- Target total of 1,000 books by June 2013
Phase 4 A (School Networks) (January ….)
- Target schools – provide training
- Schools receive training
- Submit books to ‘Write On e-library’
- Commit to collaboration and/or provide training and support to one disadvantaged school
Phase 4B (Disadvantaged Schools Collaborative Projects) – SWA Initial Project Model (January ….)
- Develop a model for training/collaborative projects with disadvantaged schools
- Share model with Networked Schools
Sharing the Model and results in progress at regional meetings/conferences
Write On Targets
SWA/JWA 1,000 (books in English, Chinese, Indonesian
Network Schools 1,000
Editorial Review Panel
- Books submitted – editorial review panel before published to e-library portal
- Selected books recommended for publishing to i-Tunes, and logistical support provided
Learn to Read Literacy Support
- Grading early literacy books with ‘reading levels’ to support reading development
We are living in an era of un-precidented information, creation, community, and community and a ‘renaissance’ in writing and reading unparalleled since the invention of the printing press.
There has been an explosion in writing published to the Internet.
We have just entered the tablet device era. With the uptake of this a preferred ‘consumption’ device, users are quickly showing a strong preference to the e-book format. The recently launched, user friendly software available for e-book creation together with the existing iTunes/iTunes U distribution platforms, will lead to community authors of all age naturally choosing the e-book format as a preferred medium for writing and distributing their writing to a global audience.
This provides a powerful opportunity to support the literacy development process in young readers and writers. Of special interest is to develop books for early readers in Bahasa Indonesia and Chinese where there are a limited range of books available and to promote writing for purpose.